How to make a hamburger like Ernest Hemingway
Here is author Ernest Hemingway’s hamburger recipe.
- 1lb. ground lean beef
- 2 cloves of of minced garlic
- 2 little green onions
- finely chopped parsley
- 1 heaping teaspoon of India relish
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 1 heaping teaspoon of Spice Islands Sage
- 1/2 teaspoon of Spice Islands Beau Monde Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of Spice Islands Mei Yen Pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten in a cup with a fork
- about 1/3 cup dry red or white wine
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Break up the meat with a fork and scatter the garlic, onion and dry seasonings over it, then mix them into the meat with a fork or your fingers. Let the bowl of meat sit out of the icebox for ten or fifteen minutes while you set the table and make the salad. Add the relish, capers, everything else including wine and let the meat sit, quietly marinating, for another ten minutes if possible.
- Now make four fat, juicy patties with your hands. The patties should be an inch thick, and soft in texture but not runny. Have the oil in your frying pan hot but not smoking when you drop the patties and then turn the heat down and fry the burgers about four minutes. Take the pan off the burner and turn the heat high again. Flip the burgers over , put the pan back on the hot fire, then after one minute, turn the heat down again and cook another three minutes. Both sides of the burgers should be crispy brown and the middle pink and juicy.